TEFL Certification Terms & Conditions
Note: This Terms and Conditions document is required for all students to read, sign and submit to our office prior to starting class along with the registration documents. Online students will not be allowed to start course without this document and class tuition payment accepted. Students enrolled in our Onsite Course Locations will not be put in contact with our director in country until this document and registration document is completed and submitted.
1. Course Start Date – the first day of your course
2. Course End Date – the last day of your course
3. International TEFL Course – an in-person TEFL/TESOL training course of 100 hours or more
4. Job Search Guidance – advice provided to our students and graduates relating to their search for English teaching jobs abroad and preparations for interviewing and securing employment
5. Online TEFL/TESOL Course –TEFL/TESOL training comprised of 150 hours of online coursework and 20 hours of student teaching, tutoring, observation or a combination thereof in the form of a TEFL Practicum
6. TEFL – Teaching English as a Foreign Language
7. TEFL Admissions Advisor – individual(s) employed by Teach English: ESL offering pre-enrollment support and guidance to Students
8. TEFL/TESOL Certificate – the document indicating evidence of course completion by Student
9. TEFL Instructor – the individual(s) or group teaching TEFL training courses
10. TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
11. Transfer Fee – the fee paid by a Student to transfer from one course to another
- Course Transfer Fee(s) – When a Student is unable to complete his/her original course he/she can transfer to a course that begins at a later date. A Student can transfer courses up to a maximum of two times. The course transfer fee applies to both Online and Onsite TEFL Courses.
- First Course Transfer Fee: $100.00 (non-refundable)
- Second Course Transfer Fee: $200.00 (non-refundable)
I. ONLINE TEFL/TESOL COURSE
Definition – Online TEFL/TESOL training comprised of 150 hours of online coursework and 20 hours of TEFL Practicum.
TEFL Practicum – 20 hours of student teaching, tutoring, observation or a combination thereof. The TEFL Practicum must be completed by every Student enrolled in an online TEFL/TESOL Course to receive their TEFL/TESOL Certificate.
BUSINESS ENGLISH AND YOUNG LEARNERS MODULES – 30 hours of additional TEFL/TESOL training not included in the standard 170-hour online TEFL course. This is an optional add-on for any Student enrolled in the online TEFL/TESOL Course.
ONLINE CLASS REFUND SCHEDULE – The following refund schedule applies to the original course start date, not any subsequent start dates.
Student will receive:
1. 90% of the amount paid when the course is cancelled 31 days or more before the original course start date.
2. 50% of the amount paid when the course is cancelled between 8 and 30 days before the original course start date.
3. 25% of the amount paid when the course is cancelled between 1 and 7 days before the original course start date.
4. 0% of the amount paid when the course is cancelled on the original course start date or any date thereafter.
All refunds will be issued to Student within 30 days from the date of acceptance of Students’ written notice of cancellation.
TRANSFER POLICY – If you postpone the start date of your course with at least thirty (30) days written notice there is no penalty. If you postpone your course within 29 days or less before your course start date you will be required to pay the non-refundable transfer fee.
II. COSTA RICA, NICARAGUA & CHICAGO TEFL/TESOL COURSES
A. PAYMENT SCHEDULE – The course fee shall be paid in two payments.
- First Payment: International TEFL Class Deposit – One class deposit payment will be paid directly to Teach English: ESL.
- Remaining Balance: Final/Second Class Payment —
i. Students enrolled in the Chicago, Illinois, USA Course will pay their remaining balance directly to Teach English: ESL. This balance will be due at least 30 days prior to the student’s course start date, or they may pay the deposit and remaining balance together.
ii. Students enrolled in the Nicaragua or Costa Rica course shall pay the remaining balance directly to the Teach English: ESL partner school or other entity in the chosen country. This balance will be due at least 30 days prior to the course start date.
- Late Fees:
i. If a Student registers within 30 days of an International Course Start Date, he or she will be required to pay a $100.00 rush processing fee. (This does not include online TEFL Course.)
ii. If a Student submits required Enrollment Documents within 30 days of an International Course Start Date, he or she will be required to pay a $100.00 rush processing fee. (This does not include online TEFL Courses.)
B. HOUSING – Housing fees are paid directly to the housing provider at your course location and not to Teach English ESL. Housing fees are due on the schedule dictated by the housing provider. Any housing refunds must come directly from the housing provider and not Teach English: ESL. Teach English: ESL is not responsible for the kind, quality, or condition of the housing, nor do we make any warranties, either expressed or implied, as to the availability and/or condition of the housing.
C. COSTA RICA, NICARAGUA & CHICAGO TEFL COURSE REFUND SCHEDULE – The following refund schedule applies to the original course start date, not any subsequent start dates. All refunds will be issued to Student within 30 days from the date of acceptance of Student’s written notice of cancellation.
Student will receive:
1. 100% of the amount paid when Student withdraws or cancels at least 90 days before the original course start date excluding the International Course Administration Fee ($250.00).
2. 0% of the first payment and 50% of the second payment when Student withdraws or cancels at least 89 to 61 days before the original course start date excluding the International Course Administration Fee ($250.00).
3. 0% of the first payment and 25% of the second payment when the Student withdraws or cancels between 60 and 30 days before the original course start date excluding the International Course Administration Fee ($250.00).
4. 0% of the amount paid when the Student withdraws 29 days before the course start date or any date thereafter.
Entry Visa – Any Student who is denied entry into the country of their course location by the government (i.e. consulate, embassy, customs, etc.) is entitled to a 100% refund of all fees paid either Teach English: ESL or its partners. Student must show official proof of denial to receive refund. All refunds will be processed within 30 days after proof of denial has been submitted.
D. CANCELLATION POLICY – Student will receive a 100% refund when any course is cancelled. Refund will be paid to Student within 30 days after the cancellation notice has been issued. Teach English: ESL reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject an individual at any time prior to the Course Start Date, or to cancel the Course in which Student is scheduled to participate. In the unlikely event of such a cancellation, or if the Student has been rejected, the total amount paid to Teach English: ESL will be refunded. Teach English: ESL will not be responsible to Student for any other refund, costs, interest, liability or damages of any kind. These costs can be, but are not limited to flights, housing and travel arrangements made by Student.
E. TRANSFER POLICY – If you postpone the start date of your course with at least thirty (30) days written notice there is no penalty. If you postpone your course within 29 days or less before your course start date you will be required to pay the non-refundable transfer fee.
III. JOB PLACEMENT
DEFINITION: International TEFL academy (ITA hereinafter) provides guidance and placement to help Student secure an English teaching job abroad only as an accommodation to its Students. ITA makes no warranties, expressed and/or implied or otherwise, regarding your job search experience including, but not limited to, the quality or conditions of the Student’s employment and agreement with an ESL school or organization.
- The Student recognizes that Teach English: ESL is a recruitment agency that assists students and graduates through guidance, advice, interview and visa processes for the TEFL course provider, ITA, who provides job assistance.
- If Teach English: ESL or ITA should discover the Student was not truthful about his or her qualifications, educational background or other required circumstances, ITA is no longer held responsible for finding Student a job.
- ITA will help the student obtain a job. However, once the student starts work in his or her chosen country, it is the responsibility of the Student to perform well and therefore retain the English teaching job abroad.
IV. ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND RELEASE
Student will participate in activities that may be outside of the United States. Student may be called upon to exercise great care for his or her own person and belongings. Student has informed himself or herself of the conditions in the countries and locations where Student will be during participation in an ITA course and has also consulted with appropriate medical personnel and has determined that his or her health is adequate to participate safely in Student’s course.
Student understands that ITA is a training organization and recognizes that participation in any course is voluntary.
Student recognizes that neither Teach English: ESL nor ITA does assumes any responsibility for injury, sickness, personal health, or death, loss or damage to property while Student participates in a TEFL course, including travel to, from and during the course. Student may encounter difficult conditions and may be subjected to hazards and risks, foreseen and unforeseen. These hazards and risks may cause or alleged to be caused by a variety of difficulties of travel or residing in locations away from the Student’s residence or by individuals either affiliated with or not affiliated with Teach English: ESL and/or ITA.
Students taking courses outside of their home country are strongly advised to take travel and medical insurance. Teach English: ESL and ITA cannot be held responsible for loss or theft of personal belongings. Teach English: ESL strongly urges Student to purchase trip cancellation insurance.
V. AIR TRAVEL, HOUSING, MEALS AND TRANSPORT
- Student is responsible for air tickets, transfers, visa fees, taxes, and other expenses associated with Student’s course.
- Student may utilize any travel service they wish. Student agrees to indemnify and hold Teach English: ESL and ITA harmless for any and all losses associated with air travel, hotels, lodging, meals, transport, and airport taxes for the use of reporting to their course country as stated above.
VI. USE OF STUDENT LIKENESS
Student acknowledges and agrees that Teach English: ESL and ITA may record Student’s likeness or comments before, during or after a course offered by Teach English: ESL. Student consents to the use of Student’s likeness (whether photographed, filmed, videotaped) and comments or any portion of such in any manner developed now or in the future. Student’s likeness or comments can be used without limitation, in marketing and promotional materials, advertising for television, radio, print or other media, and any other Teach English: ESL and/or ITA presentations.
Student agrees that, in connection with such use, Teach English: ESL, and persons acting for or on behalf of Teach English: ESL, may identify Student and may identify Student’s first name, age, city and state/territory/other district or country of residence. Student releases, indemnifies and agrees to hold harmless Teach English: ESL, and persons acting for or on behalf of Teach English: ESL, from any liability for acts authorized under this section of this Terms And Conditions form.
VII. GOVERNING LAWS AND ARBITRATION
These TERMS AND CONDITIONS shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive law of the State of Illinois, USA, applicable to agreements made and to be performed wholly therein, without regard to its provisions or rules concerning choice of laws or conflicts of laws. Any controversy or claim between the parties to this Agreement shall be resolved in arbitration in the place of arbitration shall be Cook County, Illinois (or at any other place or under any other form of arbitration mutually acceptable to the parties so involved). Teach English: ESL and ITA are not responsible for any legal fees if Student should choose to pursue legal action.
The arbitrator shall apply the substantive law of the State of Illinois, USA, as set forth above, and any award rendered shall be final and conclusive upon the parties and a judgment thereon may be entered in any court, state or federal, having jurisdiction. Except as set forth below, the expenses of the arbitration shall be borne equally by the parties of the arbitration, provided that each party shall pay for and bear the cost of its own experts and evidence.
Should Teach English: ESL or ITA Prevail in an Arbitration or lawsuit notwithstanding anything above to the contrary, in the event of an arbitration hearing and/or lawsuit brought forth against Teach English: ESL or ITA by the Student (claimant) and one in which Teach English: ESL or ITA prevails the Student (claimant) agrees to pay Teach English: ESL and/or ITA its litigation cost(s) of any and all fees for court costs, arbitration fees, reasonable attorney fees, including any and all expert fees utilized by Teach English: ESL and/or ITA during the adjudication of this claim either through the courts, arbitration, or by its attorney(s).
VIII. NULL AND VOID
In the event that Teach English: ESL and/or ITA ceases its operations due to natural or man made disasters beyond its control or bankruptcy the Student agrees this contract is null & void.
It is very important that Student understands the refund and cancellation policy. If it is not clear, Student should ask for clarification. Teach English: ESL cannot make exceptions to this policy for any reason, including medical emergencies.
If Student is younger than 18 years of age, the TERMS AND CONDITIONS must be signed by the parents or legal guardian of Student. In such case, all references to Student shall include his or her parents or guardian.