Registration Procedures for TEFL Courses
1) Understand the requirements to take a TEFL course:
- A minimum of a High School Diploma or GED.
- Fluent and proficient English Skills.
- Non-native speakers will be required to write a brief essay and interview over the phone or Skype to verify their English skills prior to enrollment.
- Ability to complete a university-level course that incorporates extensive reading, homework, papers, quizzes, tests, lessons plans, and student teaching/observation (practicum). All work is graded and each student must pass the class and fulfill the practicum requirement to earn their certification.
- If you already have a four-year degree, you are eligible to enroll in our Online TEFL Course.
- Requirements and admissions policies for the Chicago, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi TEFL courses vary from course-to-course and non-native English speakers or native speakers without a four-year degree will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be required to write an essay and/or interview. Please contact us to determine whether you are eligible to enroll in the course of your choice.
2. Enroll in a TEFL course in advance before it is filled
- Online TEFL courses are limited to 20 students and typically fill two weeks in advance.
- Chicago, Costa Rica and Nicaragua TEFL courses are limited to 12 students and often fill 2-3 months in advance. We strongly recommend that students enroll at least 90 days prior to their desired course start date to secure their spot and have ample time to make travel arrangements.
- The Thailand TEFL courses (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Krabi) are limited to 20 students per instructor, and popular months are October and April, which often fill up 1-2 months in advance. We encourage applicants to enroll 5-6 months in advance to allow ample time for visa requirements, flight purchase and trip planning.
3. Registration is a two-step process
A) Pay the class tuition to reserve your spot:
- Online class tuition is paid in full.
- Onsite courses require a deposit to enroll; the remaining balance will be due to the onsite course director 30 days prior to the class start date.
See class tuition rates here.
Payment is accepted through Paypal, however, this platform allows you to pay with Visa, American Express, Discover and Mastercard, as well as most debit cards or a direct bank transfer. It’s a completely safe exchange system. Payment is the only way to secure your place in a TEFL course.
Receipt: Upon enrollment, you will receive a confirmation email with your receipt and instructions regarding the next phase of your registration and beginning your class.
To complete your registration you must complete the Registration Document and Terms and Conditions Document. Please print, sign and scan the documents, then email them back to us at info [at] teachenglishesl.com. If you prefer us to email them to you, that’s possible too.
Online TEFL Class Students who do not turn these in will not be allowed access to the online course.
Onsite TEFL Class Students will not work with the onsite course director until these documents are received.
4. After course registration is complete
A) Online TEFL Class students:
Students will receive their class login and password information via email on the first day of class which is a Monday at 12 noon Central time. You will also be emailed a pre-course grammar module to help brush up before the course.
B) Onsite Students:
Students will work with the Student Affairs office in the office of their chosen course and be placed directly in touch with the Onsite Course Director.
The Onsite Director will assist you with:
For Chicago, Costa Rica and Nicaragua: Housing options, arrival and transportation options. It is HIGHLY advised NOT to book your airline ticket or accommodations until you speak with the director as he/she is an expert of that city. You will pay your housing fees to the hostel/hotel/hotel/homestay directly. You are responsible for the cost of these expenses, they are NOT included in the price of tuition. Your advisor will provide you with typical costs for accommodations for each location.
For Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Krabi: Housing is included in the course fee, as well as airport pickup and transfer. You will continue to work with Teach English: ESL until you arrive in Thailand and then meet your designated course director.
Your TEFL Certificate
You will receive via mail your TEFL Certificate after finishing your course and have submitted the practicum documents.
You will receive your certificate on the last day of the course.