If you’re looking for a program that is essentially a one-stop-shop, from training course to paid teaching position, while sticking to a short-term commitment, our Paid Teaching Internship in China is exactly that. Not only do you get our internationally accredited (and top-notch) 200-hour online certification course, but we’ll place you in a paid teaching position with about 50-100 other teachers (so you’ll never be alone!) for only one semester in China, where you’ll have the opportunity to immerse yourself in Chinese culture and language not only at your school, but also during your weekly Mandarin classes and weekend outings with the other interns from around the globe.
The classroom door is open.
These have been five and a half months that I’ll never forget. So if you’re thinking about doing something similar, leave space in your luggage for a whole lot of experience.”
~Arvid Bertilsson (Sweden)
Intern in China Program at a Glance
- A group intern experience with 50-100 other new teachers!
- 200-hour Online TEFL Certification included!
- FREE 6-day orientation in Beijing (all expenses paid!)
- Short-term 4.5 month (one semester) commitment
- Earn a monthly stipend of 2,000 RMB ($300 USD)
- FREE accommodation for the duration of your stay
- Weekly Mandarin classes beginning your first week
- Three meals per day provided by school on weekdays
- Contract completion bonus (2,500 RMB!)
- Airport pickup and transfer to placement school provided
- Extensive support staff for entirety of program
All for only $1,795 USD
Advantages of the Intern in China Program
- Gain valuable teaching experience — whether you’re just getting started on your teaching career, trying it out to see if you want to study education, or just want a meaningful and educational travel experience, the Teaching Internship in China allows the opportunity of a lifetime, and a resume builder everyone will be jealous of.
- Get paid to travel around China — this program includes an orientation in Beijing, transportation to your school (with all of your new friends!) and with your light teaching load, you’ll also be free to explore on weekends and paid holidays.
- Learn Chinese — with weekly Mandarin language classes you’ll gain invaluable memories by practicing with the locals and your students, and you’ll walk away with a new language to add to your resume!
- Immerse yourself in Chinese culture — perhaps the largest benefit is the cultural exchange. You’ll learn a lot about Chinese culture, and your students and friends will be excited to learn about yours.
As part of this program, you’ll be enrolled in our 200-hour Online TEFL certification course, which is internationally accredited and will go with you wherever your path leads after China. Please allow 11-13 weeks to complete the training prior to departure. Already certified? That’s okay, too! As long as your course was at least 120 hours, send us proof and we’ll discount the program for you.
TEFL TRAINING COURSE
As part of this program, you’ll be enrolled in our 200-hour Online TEFL certification course, which is internationally accredited and will go with you wherever your path leads after China. Please allow 11-13 weeks to complete the training prior to departure.
Already certified? That’s okay, too! As long as your course was at least 120 hours, send us proof and we’ll discount the program for you.
- Location: Beijing, China
- Duration: 6 days
- Day 1: Arrival into China (Beijing)
- Day 2: Program induction seminar; welcome dinner
- Day 3: Mandarin Lessons and Cultural Classes
- Day 4: Tour Day
- Day 5: Mandarin and Cultural Classes
- Day 6: Departure to Schools
- In total, 2 hours of Cultural Classes and 6 hours of Mandarin classes will be offered
- 3 meals a day during orientation period (excluding Arrival Day)
All over China! During the application process, you’ll choose a region (north, south, or central) and a preference for age group (Kindergarten, Primary or Middle and above) and we’ll do our best to match you appropriately. We place teachers in both public and private schools, which are usually large (2,000-5,000 students). You will be placed in with a group of other interns on the program.
The people we met and the students that treat you like rock stars made all the challenges worthwhile.”
~Danni Scott (Australia)
- Must be from one of the following countries:United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand or South Africa
- Must speak, read and write English fluently
- Must be between 18-55 to apply
- Clean criminal record and bill of health
- No degree or experience required!
August 23, 2018 – January 15, 2019
- Deadline to apply – July 6, 2018
INVESTMENT: $1,795 USD
(Upon acceptance, an initial deposit of $795 is due, with the remaining balance due 30 days prior to beginning the online training)
HOW TO APPLY:
You will need to be prepared with the following before completing the online application:
- Passport copy (main page)
- Recent clear, color photo
What if I don’t speak the local language?
No problem! Schools hire native English speakers because they want the students to have an immersion language program, which means only English spoken in the English classroom, all the time. The idea is to encourage students to use the language they already know, and not to rely on conversing with their English teacher in their native tongue. However, you will have six hours of Mandarin training during orientation, followed by two hours each week, plus it’s almost inevitable that you will pick up some of the language after spending so much time immersed in it. You’ll find that knowing certain words/phrases will only make your job easier.
What if I’ve never taught before?
Don’t worry! That’s why this is an internship. Your online TEFL certification will prepare you for almost everything you need to step foot in the classroom, but then you’ll also have hands-on experience when you start out. As you become more comfortable leading classes on your own, you’ll gain more autonomy. You’ll also have a large support group once you arrive in China, and the orientation in Beijing will leave you feeling very prepared.
Do I get training?
Yes! This program includes a 200-hour Online TEFL training, plus a 6-day orientation so you’ll be more than prepared come your first day in the classroom.
What materials will the school provide?
Most schools provide you with a curriculum and books. You will also have an office space provided.
Will I have help with the visa process?
Yes! Once you’ve been accepted to join the team, we’ll guide you toward the proper visa steps.
What if I’m not a native speaker?
That’s okay too! The demand for English teachers worldwide is so high that nearly 80% of all the teachers currently working are not native speakers. As long as your English is near perfect, you’re still eligible to teach English in China.
Will I be the only foreign teacher at my school?
Most likely no. We try our best to place interns in groups (and you can come with a friend if you like), and there are millions of ESL teachers around China so you will find each other quickly.
Where will I be placed?
The school placements will occur in the following locations: North (Beijing, Hebei, Inner Mongolia and surrounding areas), Central (Shanghai, Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Sichuan and surrounding areas) and South (Guangdong and surrounding areas).
The schools will be a mix of public, private and training centers.
How old will my students be?
Students age groups are:
- 3-6 years old
- 7-12 years old
- 13-18 years old
What will my teaching schedule be like?
Teachers work a total of 35 working hours a week at the school:
- This includes face-to-face teaching time, lesson preparation, meetings, extracurricular activities, etc.
- In the majority of cases, 10-15 hours of face-to-face teaching should be delivered to the students each week.
- You will be asked to teach five days per week with two days off (though not necessarily consecutive).
How big are the classes?
Class sizes are usually 40-50 students each class.
What is the free accommodation like?
You can expect to have the following:
- Private bedroom in shared apartment or university style dorm
- Shared living room and bathroom
- For 95% of the placements, the maximum expected distance from the accommodation would be 45 minutes via public transportation to the school.
What am I supposed to wear to work?
You should plan to dress smart and casual. No flip flops, sandals, tank tops, or shorts. Most men wear slacks with a button up shirt, and females often wear skirts or slack with nice blouses.
Are meals included?
Yes! The school provides 3 free meals per day, 5 days per week through its canteen or other means as mutually agreed by the school and the teacher. If the school cannot provide food due to limited facilities, the school shall provide the teachers with a food allowance in accordance to the following standard:
- Breakfast: 150RMB/month/person
- Lunch: 300RMB/month/person
- Dinner: 300RMB/month/person
Can I extend my contract?
No, this is a short-term internship program only.
How will I get paid?
Upon arrival, the school will help you set up a bank account with a local bank and your monthly paychecks will be directly deposited. You will have an ATM card to withdraw cash.
Is it easy to send money home from China?
Not exactly. The Chinese government has restrictions on foreigners sending home money, and it’s not possible to exchange money at a bank without a Chinese friend to do it for you. However, you can easily find people willing to help you do this. Many people manage to exchange money on the black market and send it home via Western Union to pay their student loans, so it’s difficult, but not impossible.
I heard there’s no Facebook in China. Is it true?
Yes, it’s true. Legally. The Chinese government has banned almost all social media sites, including Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Most blogging platforms are also blocked. However, there are two ways around it. You can either join a Chinese social media site like QQ, or blogging platform like Weibo, and do it the legal, local way. Or, you can purchase a VPN (virtual private network) for about $5/month to disguise your computer and make it look as if you’re back home on your comfy couch.