If you’re looking for the best TEFL course on the market, look no more.This is our most intensive, most highly accredited TEFL certification course. You can earn your internationally accredited 190-hour TEFL Certification in just ONE MONTH at our onsite location in Chicago. Held in one of the largest and most diverse cities in the U.S.A., with a multicultural blend of over 100 different ethnicities, the Chicago TEFL course is in an ideal location for you to prepare to teach English abroad. From cultural, recreational and culinary attractions to world-class art and opera, from professional sports to a vibrant music and nightlife scene, Chicago has something for you to get excited about.
ADVANTAGES OF THE CHICAGO TEFL COURSE:
- In-person training–students study in a 4-week, onsite course in Chicago
- Explore Chicago – see all this metropolitan city has to offer, from cuisine to shopping, nightlife, and more.
- Worldwide recognition – an internationally accredited, 190-hour certification course on par with the CELTA.
- Teach English anywhere – Join graduates now teaching English around the world.
- Lifetime job guidance – help finding an ESL job whenever you need it. Forever.
- Length of Training:
4 weeks full-time – This is an intensive university-level course.
ON SALE: $1,995!. Housing is not included. Check here for current tuition discount offers.
- Housing costs are not included (see below for housing options)
- TEFL Course Dates & Availability:
We have at least one course starting each month. See specific dates below. We recommend enrolling at least 90 days prior to your course start date. This is a very popular course and often fills in advance.
- Daily Schedule & Intensity:
This is an intense, full-time university-level course. Students should expect to be in class from 9:30 am – 5:30 pm (with breaks), Monday-Friday. Students will also need to stay later, until 8:00 pm approximately, twice each week to complete practicum. Weekends are primarily free for sightseeing and relaxation, but some homework is required. Email us for a sample schedule.
- Course Location:
Earn your internationally accredited 190-hour Chicago TEFL Certification in the heart of Chicago’s Near North Side 1 block from the Diversey Brown Line “El” stop.
- Job Search Guidance:
All students and graduates receive hands-on job placement assistance and lifetime, worldwide job search guidance from the expert team of advisors.
- Class Size & Facilities:
Classes are capped at 12 students; Internet access is available at the school facilities.
All Teach English: ESL TEFL certification courses meet or exceed international standards are accredited by recognized bodies in the field. Read more.
- Chicago TEFL Class FAQS:
Learn everything you need to know about taking your TEFL Certification course in Chicago below.
- Job Opportunities for Teaching English Abroad
There are more than 80 countries around the world that hire TEFL certified English teachers to teach English in their schools, businesses and institutions. This course will prepare you to be a successful ESL teacher.
- Enrollment Procedures:
You must apply & interview prior to enrolling for this course. Please review about or Registration Procedure and the Terms & Conditions prior to enrolling.
- Non-Native English Speakers:
Must complete a phone interview & submit a written essay to verify your English skills.
This class is taught by highly experienced university-level instructors.
- Course Textbooks:
Not included in tuition; students must purchase books upon enrollment. See FAQ below for more info.
You should take a TEFL certification course if:
- You aren’t ready to create a lesson plan and lead a class on your first day
- You do not feel prepared and qualified
- You prefer learning in a physical classroom over online course
- You are interested in exploring a new city while earning your certification
- You are a novice teacher: The course offers solid, practical, teaching techniques to ensure you enter the classroom with confidence
- You want to immediately apply your skills to positively contribute to a local community
- You want help finding a job teaching English abroad
*All Chicago TEFL course applicants must undergo an interview and prove understanding of course intensity.
TEFL classes are held in the heart of Chicago’s Lakeview/Lincoln Park neighborhood, just minutes away from Lake Michigan on Diversey Parkway and just north of Lincoln Park, DePaul University. A mile to the south, you’ll find the famous Wrigley Field (home of the Chicago Cubs, for you sports fans). With the Diversey Brown Line “El” (subway) stop just a block away, public transportation is easily accessible. It’s an easy 15 minute ride to “The Loop” in downtown Chicago, home to the city’s greatest architectural and cultural landmarks, including Michigan Avenue, the Art Institute of Chicago, the Field Museum, Soldier Field, the Willis Tower (famously known as the Sears Tower), and hundreds of world class restaurants, shops and bars.
Spread over more than 4,000 square feet, the course center includes brand new classroom facilities, computer work stations, reference library and student lounge.
We’ll certainly provide advice and a variety of housing options to choose from, whatever your budget. There are plenty of hostels, hotels and rentals nearby in Lincoln Park and downtown Chicago, all within minutes from public transportation.
Several hostels are conveniently located near the course location with prices ranging from $27-$35 USD and up per night. Hostel options include Hostellng International, AAE Chicago Parthenon Hostel, and Chicago Getaway Hostel. Short-term furnished apartments and subleased rooms are available throughout the city year round.
Chicago has two major airports: The northern Chicago O’Hare Airport and Southern Chicago Midway Airport. Both Amtrak and Greyhound provide service to central Chicago.
Transportation in Chicago to your class location:
Once you arrive in the city, Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) offers excellent public transportation by bus and train; taxis are readily available as well. The classroom is located one block from the Diversey Brown Line stop. If you have a car, free parking is available in front of our building and around the block in residential neighborhoods.
- May 14 – June 8, 2018 – FULL
- June 18 – July 13, 2018 – FULL
- July 16 – August 10, 2018 – FULL
- August 20 – September 14, 2018
- September 17 – October 12, 2018
- October 22 – November 16, 2018
- November 26 – December 21, 2018
*courses tend to fill up 2-3 months in advance
2,195 Now only $1,995 USD! Plus housing costs and text books (about $100).
Need a little help funding your teach abroad experience? We’ve partnered with FundMyTravel.com to help you do just that! It’s a crowd sourcing website meant specifically for travel, so your important educational aspirations won’t be crowded out by cancer requests and earthquake donations.
What’s included in the course investment?
- TEFL course tuition
- Welcome Lunch & graduation Party
- Assistance with making housing arrangements (housing costs not included)
- Lifetime job guidance advice worldwide, including workshops during the course
What’s NOT included?
- Personal Expenses
- International Flights
- Coursebooks (purchase upon enrollment)
- Visa, Insurance
- Housing costs
How many hours will I be spending in class and on course work during the course? Will I have a lot of free time to see Chicago?
- Class Hours: Students should plan on spending 50 – 55 hours per week (at minimum) on the course. Class hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with breaks throughout the day and a one-hour break for lunch.
From 5:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. students will receive their feedback from their practicum instructor regarding their previous night’s teaching practice. Because of the intense nature of the schedule, you should plan to do any sightseeing either before or after the class ends.
- Student teaching is from 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. Each student will be required to be here a minimum of 8 nights until 8:00 p.m. either student teaching or working on their Learner Profile. You will receive your practicum schedule on the first day of class.
- Class Assignments: There are approximately 85 assignments due throughout the 4-week course.
These include lesson plans, reflections, essays, quizzes, written assignments, etc. Plan on spending an extra 2 to 3 hours every night on homework.
Will grammar be taught during the course? Are there additional grammar resources in the course materials?
Yes, grammar is taught during the course, however, students are required to review main grammar points before starting the course. More time is spent in class on how to teach grammar than going over grammar points with TEFL students.
TEFL students are required to complete the Pre-Course Grammar Module before the first day of class but should also do their own further review of grammar.
We recommend purchasing a grammar book to use throughout the course. A few different options are listed below:
- Fundamentals of English Grammar, 3rd Edition by: Betty Schrampfer Azar
- Practical English Usage by: Michael Swan
- A Practical English Grammar by: Thomson and Martinet
- How to Teach Grammar by: Scott Thornbury
Can I buy the textbook from Teach English: ESL?
No, students are required to purchase one of the following versions of the textbook at least one month in advance of starting the TEFL class.
- Paperback Version – The Fundamentals of Teaching English as a Foreign Language
- PDF Version – The Fundamentals of Teaching English as a Foreign Language
What kind of ESL students will I be teaching during the practicum?
The course provider offers free ESL classes to non-native English speakers who live in Chicago. They are adult learners and are of varying levels and cultural backgrounds.
Are there any specific technology requirements for the course?
- Laptop – Students are required to bring a laptop with a long battery life (at least 4 hours).
- Tablets, Chromebooks, and mobile devices cannot be used in place of a computer.
- Flash Drive – Students will need a flash drive that is compatible with his or her computer.
- Word Processing Software – Students should have a
reliable word processing system on their computer such as Microsoft Word.
- Adobe Acrobat – Students will be required to submit assignments as PDFs. Most computers already have the capability of saving documents as such.
- Google Drive – Students will need to know how to use the basics of Google drive. If you are unfamiliar with Google Drive, check out this quick tutorial. Many others can be found on YouTube.
How can I prepare for the course? Can I begin working on my assignments prior to the course?
- Students should plan on reviewing grammar prior to the start of the course. See question 2 for more information on reviewing grammar.
- Purchase the TEFL Course book (see question 3).
- Due to the requirements of the assignments, we do not recommend that our TEFL students attempt to complete any assignments prior to the course start date.
Will I have help finding housing?
Yes, our partners have a list of recommendations on hostels and where students can find shared apartments. They can also advise on where in the city that is convenient (such as by a train or bus stop) but we do not arrange the housing for you. Chicago has many options and it’s easy to choose the a good place to live for a month.
What do I need to bring on the first day of class?
Items to Bring: Students should plan on bringing with them the following items on the first day of class:
- Monthly Planner
- TEFL Course Book
- Picture ID
- Pre-Course Tasks
- Flash Drive